Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Making an Etsy shop

I began making an 'Etsy shop' to show and sell my hand dyed silk fabric. It is a  huge challenge for me, because my English is not yet at the level to run an online shopping mall in English. Actually..even though my speaking in English is also not good yet, I'm not nervous when speaking English. Because of travel experiences. BUT writing in English makes me more nervous...hum..so, I'm doing my best now- using translate, getting help from some friends, studying English. If some sentences are awkward, please understand. :)


Goods on sale in Etsy is Hand dyed and painted silk fabric which is one of  Korean traditional fabrics. Actually I have a big dream, so I quit my job and I started to prepare my own business. I want to show and introduce beautiful Korean traditional silk to everyone who are textile crafters or designers. Because I could know through travel that even if most of people who I met on my journey liked and were interested in my silk, It's very hard to see Korean beautiful silk abroad. They said "So beautiful, I've never seen silk like that before".

But It doesn't mean that running Etsy shop is my business. I want to go abroad to introduce Korean traditional fabric designed by me directly, and  work using that. I mean I want to paint and make something what my customers want abroad. For doing this, I'm currently developing some products using my unique silk. I have received support from the Korean government a little to do my small business. They offer a joint office, and I'm working hard there for my dream.
(This is my office, I'm sharing the office with someone. )
So, the reason  I decided to open Etsy shop is to show my hand-designed silk fabric before going abroad. I know that It would be difficult for me,, but I'm going to try. To open Etsy shop, I have to do a lot of things by myself, because I cannot afford to hire someone who help me. Not only making hand dyed and painted fabrics, my main works, but also 'Taking Pictures', 'Making Etsy shop pages in English', 'Blogging  to explain my silk for Etsy buyers'. And I need to study about systems of oversea delivery, way of packing safely and choosing some materials for selling. 
Oh my god, there are a lot of things to do than I thought.

(Photo studio is offered  as well, and It's one of the hardest things for me to take photos well.)
I'm just confident in making designed fabrics by hand, and the other things are still at the level of an amateur. Despite all the difficulties, however, I won't change my decision. I've been investing my time for my business now. So, before starting business in earnest, time and effort to make items will be reflected a very little bit in the price..cheaper than the other shop here. I really hope I can get many chances to show this beautiful silk to people.
Then, It's time to work!  See you at Etsy shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment